Learn to use digital editing techniques to show off your photos and memorabilia in Introduction to Digital Scrapbooking! Using Photoshop Elements 11, 12, or 13, this course will teach you how to make the most of your scrapbooking talents and artistic ideas when you combine traditional and digital scrapbooking.
Starting with simple projects, you’ll quickly learn how to build pages, use artistic journaling, and produce sophisticated illusions. Photoshop Elements lets you build your own clip art, create frames, and develop multi-layer pages with an endless array of layouts and designs. You’ll see how to draw and create your own art, build collages and scrapbooks to share, and work with both color and black and white. If you need to restore or age images—the tools are all available to you. Join us and take your scrapbooking to a new level!
In our first lesson, you’ll have an opportunity to become familiar with Photoshop Elements 11 and a number of ways to integrate digital options with traditional scrapbooking. You’ll see how to keep your personal style intact while taking advantage of fun and easy techniques to enhance your scrapbooks. Then, you’ll experiment with and explore the many options for enhancing text as you learn to add color, shape, and styles along with more advance techniques like warping text to fit on objects, making circles with words, and transforming images into text.
In this lesson, we’ll explore Adobe’s layers so you can master the ability to build pages with many different pieces to create the look that tells your story best! Then, you’ll see how to create and use clip art to add personal touches and dimension to your scrapbook.
This lesson focuses on defining themes, using repetitive elements, and sizing enlargements for excellent quality. You’ll see how to build two-page layouts, create panoramic images, and use two different techniques for adding frames to your pages. Then, learn how to take a classic look and make it modern, timeless, or even old-fashioned. You’ll see how to turn color photos into stunning black-and-white images, or how to keep just a portion in color. We’ll also explore using gradients to create black-and-white backgrounds to set off color images.
Learn to create special effects to enhance your backgrounds and pages. Then, you’ll see how to use the standard Photoshop Elements brushes, create and customize your own, and build pages and backgrounds with a variety of styles and patterns.
You’ll see how to turn back the hands of time to create pages using restored images and nostalgic pages. You’ll also learn how to age a modern photo to match the look of older ones. Then, learn shortcuts to make creating 3-D looks quick and easy.
Learn to draw in Photoshop Elements and explore your creative side. You’ll see how to add line graphics with Wingdings and turn color images into coloring pages, as well as some other drawing techniques you can use to build backgrounds and art for your scrapbook pages. And finally, you’ll explore a couple of automatic options in Photoshop Elements to help you finish your scrapbooks quickly.
Prerequisites / Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac device.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari (We recommend Firefox or Chrome).
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 11, 12, or 13.
- Due to a significant change in the look and menu appearance of Photoshop Elements starting with version 11, students with earlier versions of the software should upgrade to Photoshop Elements 11, 12, or 13 before starting this course. Instructions, screenshots, and examples all rely heavily on specific instructions for these versions.
- This course is written with the Windows version of the software. Mac students are welcome, but will need to make standard Windows/Mac keystroke conversions, many of which are included in the course material. Teaching staff has Mac software and equipment available and can help troubleshoot with Mac students to complete course material if necessary.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
Instructional material requirements:
- The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
WHEN CAN I GET STARTED?
A new session of each course opens each month, allowing you to enroll whenever your busy schedule permits!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Once a session starts, two lessons will be released each week, for the six-week duration of your course. You will have access to all previously released lessons until the course ends.
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO COMPLETE EACH LESSON?
The interactive discussion area for each lesson automatically closes 2 weeks after each lesson is released, so you’re encouraged to complete each lesson within two weeks of its release.
WHAT IF I NEED AN EXTENSION?
The Final Exam will be released on the same day as the last lesson. Once the Final Exam has been released, you will have 2 weeks plus 10 days to complete the Final and finish any remaining lessons in your course. No further extensions can be provided beyond these 10 days.