The need for cutting edge, professionally-designed interactive media keeps growing, and that means qualified graphic designers are in high demand. In this nationally-recognized program, you’ll prepare for a dream job in the graphic design field by mastering Photoshop, the world’s most popular application for creating and editing graphic images.
You’ll begin with basic graphic design techniques and build your skills from the bottom-up, mastering the terms and processes that professional graphic artists rely on. You’ll learn the rules and standards for effective graphic design and discover innovative strategies. This knowledge of graphic design will help you select graphics that convey the desired message, style, and tone for a variety of clients. Additionally, you’ll discover how to correctly package a project for printing and production.
ASSESSING CLIENT NEEDS
Learn how to communicate effectively with a current or prospective client. Understand your needs and questions to ask before embarking on a new project, including what is the client trying to promote and who is the target audience?
Begin learning the basics of design. This section of the course will cover how to effectively create a logo, submit proofs, and collaborate with a client. Next, understand design, layout, and color fundamentals. Learn how to define the project’s style and tone, create an effective layout, and how to choose the right colors.
WORKING WITH TYPE
Explore the role of type in graphic design. Begin to be able to identify font characters and choose the right font for headings and body text. Lastly, you’ll work with creating and placing blocks of text.
Dive into the world of Photoshop. Build a foundation of knowledge regarding opening photos, resizing and cropping images, using retouching tools, creating a composite image, and adjusting tone, color, and contrast.
DESIGNING FOR DIFFERENT MEDIUMS
Put your new skills to use by creating design campaigns for different mediums, including brochures, print advertising, web marketing, and email advertising.
BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER
Complete the course by creating a complete marketing package. As the class concludes, you’ll learn about production methods, website options, and how to create camera-ready art for print.
- Understanding the Client
- Assessing client needs
- What is the client trying to promote?
- Who is the target audience?
- Designing the Logo
- Creating effective logo designs
- Submitting proofs
- Collaborating with the client
- Making a final selection
- Design, Layout, and Color Fundamentals
- Defining the style and tone of the project
- Understanding effective layouts
- Choosing the right colors
- Working with Type
- Understanding the role of type in graphic design
- Identifying font characters
- Choosing the right fonts for headings and body text
- Working with blocks of text
- Photo Editing
- Opening a photo in Photoshop
- Resizing the image
- Cropping images
- Using image retouching tools
- Auto tone, color, and contrast
- Creating a composite image
- Designing a Brochure
- Laying out your brochure’s six
- Choosing colors and fonts
- Selecting images
- Building effective headline and body text
- Fine-tuning your layout for visual impact and usefulness
- Creating Print Advertising
- Designing an ad for print
- Effective use of space
- Conveying information
- Creating a compelling image
- Designing for the Web
- Understanding the web design process
- Creating web content
- Designing an effective web page
- Optimizing images for the web
- Building a searchable page
- Designing for social media
- Email Advertising
- Creating email advertising
- Creating an effective email blast
- Designing a readable email
- Working with automated email services
- Bringing it all Together
- Creating a complete marketing package
- Production methods
- Creating camera-ready art for print
- Website options
Prerequisites / Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows XP or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari (We recommend Firefox or Chrome).
- Photoshop CS6 (or Creative Cloud).
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software is not included in the cost of tuition. All software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
Other: Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
Instructional material requirements:
- The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment.
CAN I REGISTER FOR A COURSE IF I AM AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT?
Yes, ed2go courses are online, so you never have to actually travel to the school. Most schools offer telephone or online registration.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE A COURSE?
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you’ll receive nine (9) months to complete the course.
CAN I GET FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE?
ed2go courses are non-credit, so they do not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more: https://www.ed2go.com/career/financial-assistance
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I COMPLETE THE COURSE?
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
AM I GUARANTEED A JOB?
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. We do not offer direct job placement services, but our instructors and career counselors will help you build your resume and advise you on starting your career. Instructors can also be used as a professional reference upon course completion. However, you should always research the job market in your area before registering.
WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT WILL I RECEIVE?
You may be assigned with a facilitator or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Your support will be available (via e-mail) to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. All of our facilitators are successful working professionals in the fields in which they teach. You will be assigned to an Advisor for academic support.
HOW CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS COURSE?
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, please feel free to contact us via LIVE CHAT or by calling us at (855) 598-3856. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please feel free to send us a question using the Contact Us form.
WHEN CAN I START THE COURSE?
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Please note: Once the course curriculum is accessed online or through submission of a material shipment confirmation, refunds cannot be issued. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
WILL I BE ABLE TO MARKET MYSELF AS A GRAPHIC DESIGNER AFTER TAKING THIS CLASS?
Like most things, practice makes perfect. You’ll have the basic design skills and Photoshop abilities to take on most graphic design projects, but it’s recommended that you do some pro-bono (no-charge, for needy organizations, family businesses, etc.) work before you put yourself out there as an experienced designer. Build your portfolio based on what you learn in this class and apply your experience to a few jobs before you making an official leap as a Professional Graphic Designer.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO COMPLETE MY COURSE WITHIN THE TIME FRAME PROVIDED?
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.