This nationally recognized training program will teach you the fundamentals of Adobe Photoshop, the gold standard for image creation and editing. This program will teach you graphic design basics and build your skills step-by-step, as you master the terms and processes used by professional graphic artists. You’ll not only learn the rules and standards for effective graphic design, but you’ll also discover strategies for creating graphics that convey desired messages, styles, and tones.
You’ll practice with real-world examples, challenges, and thought-provoking assignments, and learn how to determine a client’s needs, design marketing materials to meet those needs, in addition toassembling your designs in an online portfolio to enter the industry. This program will help you create images that stand apart from the competition, in addition to positioning you for a rewarding career in graphic design.
UNDERSTANDING THE CLIENT
Learn how to effectively communicate with a client while anticipating their needs. You’ll learn to ask thoughtful questions regarding what the brand is trying to promote and figuring out who their target audience may be.
DESIGNING LOGOS, LAYOUT, AND COLOR FUNDAMENTAL
Understand how to create powerful logo designs that peak interest in customers and satisfy your client. Learn the process of designing work for clients from submitting proofs and collaborating to making a final selection. You’ll also learn how to create layouts for various projects and the fundamentals of color theory.
WORKING WITH TYPE
Master an understanding of the importance of type in graphic design. Learn how to identify different font characters, how to choose the most useful font for your projects, and how to work with blocks of text.
Master the functions of Photoshop. Learn how to resize, crop, and retouch images. Understand how to create composite images, as well as how to change color, tone, and contrast within.
Create a brochure and an ad for print during this section of the course. You’ll examine how to effectively use space, color, font, and images in print advertising.
Learn how to create results-driven web pages, social media graphics, and email advertisements. Understand how to build a searchable web page and how to work with automated email services.
- Understanding the Client
- Assessing client needs
- What is the client trying to promote?
- Who is the target audience?
- Designing the Logo
- Creating effective logo designs
- Submitting proofs
- Collaborating with the client
- Making a final selection
- Design, Layout, and Color Fundamentals
- Defining the style and tone of the project
- Understanding effective layouts
- Choosing the right colors
- Working with Type
- Understanding the role of type in graphic design
- Identifying font characters
- Choosing the right fonts for headings and body text
- Working with blocks of text
- Photo Editing
- Opening a photo in Photoshop
- Resizing the image
- Cropping images
- Using image retouching tools
- Auto tone, color, and contrast
- Creating a composite image
- Designing a Brochure
- Laying out your brochure’s six
- Choosing colors and fonts
- Selecting images
- Building effective headline and body text
- Fine-tuning your layout for visual impact and usefulness
- Creating Print Advertising
- Designing an ad for print
- Effective use of space
- Conveying information
- Creating a compelling image
- Designing for the Web
- Understanding the web design process
- Creating web content
- Designing an effective web page
- Optimizing images for the web
- Building a searchable page
- Designing for social media
- Email Advertising
- Creating email advertising
- Creating an effective email blast
- Designing a readable email
- Working with automated email services
- Bringing it all Together
- Creating a complete marketing package
- Production methods
- Creating camera-ready art for print
- Website options
Prerequisites / Requirements
Previous experience with Photoshop is not necessary.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows Vista or later.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari (We recommend Firefox or Chrome).
- Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan (Adobe Photoshop CC) will be provided with your tuition upon enrollment. It will be valid for one year after the activation date.
- Microsoft Word.
- Adobe Flash Player. Click here to download the Flash Player.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
- Most software is not included in the cost of tuition, only Adobe Photoshop CC. Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
Instructional material requirements:
- The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment. The following textbooks will be shipped to you approximately 7-10 business days after enrollment:
- Adobe® Photoshop® Creative Cloud Revealed, 1st Edition
- Graphic Design Basics, 6th Edition
- Graphic Design Solutions, 5th Edition
CAN I REGISTER FOR A COURSE IF I AM AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT?
Yes, ed2go courses are online, so you never have to actually travel to the school. Most schools offer telephone or online registration.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE A COURSE?
This course is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace. When you register, you’ll receive nine (9) months to complete the course.
CAN I GET FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE?
ed2go courses are non-credit, so they do not qualify for federal aid, FAFSA and Pell Grant. In some states, vocational rehab or workforce development boards will pay for qualified students to take our courses. Additionally, some students may qualify for financial assistance when they enroll, if they meet certain requirements. Financing is available from select schools. Learn more: https://www.ed2go.com/career/financial-assistance
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I COMPLETE THE COURSE?
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
AM I GUARANTEED A JOB?
This course will provide you with the skills you need to obtain an entry-level position in most cases. We do not offer direct job placement services, but our instructors and career counselors will help you build your resume and advise you on starting your career. Instructors can also be used as a professional reference upon course completion. However, you should always research the job market in your area before registering.
WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT WILL I RECEIVE?
You may be assigned with a facilitator or team of industry experts for one-on-one course interaction. Your support will be available (via e-mail) to answer any questions you may have and to provide feedback on your performance. All of our facilitators are successful working professionals in the fields in which they teach. You will be assigned to an Advisor for academic support.
HOW CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS COURSE?
If you have questions that are not answered on our website, please feel free to contact us via LIVE CHAT or by calling us at (855) 598-3856. If you are visiting us during non-business hours, please feel free to send us a question using the Contact Us form.
WHEN CAN I START THE COURSE?
This course is open enrollment, so you can register and start the course as soon as you are ready. Please note: Once the course curriculum is accessed online or through submission of a material shipment confirmation, refunds cannot be issued. Access to your course can take 24-48 business hours.
WILL I BE ABLE TO MARKET MYSELF AS A GRAPHIC DESIGNER AFTER TAKING THIS CLASS?
Like most things, practice makes perfect. You’ll have the basic design skills and Photoshop abilities to take on most graphic design projects, but it’s recommended that you do some pro-bono (no-charge, for needy organizations, family businesses, etc.) work before you put yourself out there as an experienced designer. Build your portfolio based on what you learn in this class and apply your experience to a few jobs before you making an official leap as a Professional Graphic Designer.
CAN I MAKE A GOOD LIVING AS A GRAPHIC DESIGNER?
Yes, if you work hard and develop a good client list. It’s important to seek clients out, provide all the services you can to these clients, and make good connections for word-of-mouth referrals. Also, stay involved with professional organizations, chambers of commerce, or local small business networking groups. Get your name out there, and use social media to promote your services.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO COMPLETE MY COURSE WITHIN THE TIME FRAME PROVIDED?
The time allotted for course completion has been calculated based on the number of course hours. However, if you are unable to complete the course, contact your Student Advisor to help you work out a suitable completion date. Please note that an extension fee may be charged.